Wednesday, July 23, 2008

baby bunnies

When I got back from picking up my dogs after Vacation a couple of weeks ago they found a surprise in our back yard. Baby bunnies! The dogs pulled a couple out but didn't hurt them at all. I stuffed them back in the hole and covered them up. They looked like this...



They barely looked like rabbits. Pretty much no fur, eyes closed tight and ears stuck back. They were loud little boogers and called for their mommy. I of course goggled baby bunnies and found out the mommy usually only comes once a day and that is at night to feed them. She is there for about 5 minutes and then she is gone. She does this to try and not draw attention to her babies. Well, tell that to a 4 year old girl who is very excited about baby bunnies living in her back yard. I put up this gate to keep the dogs away from them.

Here are the bunnies at 3 days old
Here they are at 4 days old



Here at 6 days old --eyes still closed. Eyes open around 5 or 6 days old.

8 days here --look how much they have grown!

10 days old here. They were way too jumpy at this point.


what I read says bunnies are on their own from 3 weeks on. Our bunnies left the night of the last picture taken, 10 days old. My husband thinks they were a snack for something. I would like to believe they were ready to leave the nest. We now have an empty rabbit nest in our back yard for people to brake their ankle in. I need to go fill it in.

I hope the bunnies made it and are now living a nice bunny life!

5 comments:

Karen said...

How cute! It's wonderful that your kids got to see them, but I hope they're living elsewhere.

Laura said...

We had baby bunnies, too. Their nest was under a tunnel toy in the side yard. maybe your bunnies are fine. We still see our bunnies, there are 3 and it's been 3 months since they left the nest.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Mine dug a hole under my front porch. They come out and eat my flowers. The bunnies and the chipmunks. They're cute, though.

Unknown said...

How cool......we have Jack Russells, so the bunnies don't usually nest anywhere near here. What a wonderful experience for the children!

Christina said...

Brittany would be in love! She wants a pet bunny. I told her they poop too much LOL