Sunday, July 6, 2008

Joe's finger again...

As posted long ago, Joe got his finger stuck in the treadmill Dec 26. He rubbed the skin off 2 of his fingers. He ended up having scar contractures (would not straighten out) so he had to see a specialist. He had to wear hydro-gel and a splint during the night to try and get it straight again. If that didn't work then surgery it would be. 2 weeks ago we went for another follow up and the doc said he is good to go. It still didn't look that straight to me but she could make it go straight and i guess that is what she was aiming for. She told me to watch it again when he hits puberty because sometimes the scar tissue will not keep up and the problem will be there again. Yay- splint free!!

Last week I was going to Springfield for a few days with the kids to pick up our dogs and visit the grandparents. My mom watched our dogs for us while we were on vacay. First we had gymnastics that day and I was hoping to leave right after that. I didn't get everything packed in time so we had to come back home. Anyway, one reason I didn't get it all done is because of Joe's finger! I didn't see it happen but Max slammed Joe's finger in the door going out to the garage. Somehow just the same finger that we were working to get straight got the skin scrapped off of it again. It looked just as bad as it originally did when he stuck it in the treadmill. However, this time blood was involved. Why it didn't bleed with the treadmill, I don't know. Too deep? I'm sure some of you know the answer to this.

So, I washed his hands off and wrapped a washcloth around it. We were starting to run late for gymnastics so I just grabbed a band-aid and some neo+pain med to put on once there. He didn't want it. All he wanted was the washcloth. He wanted to whole thing covered. The whole day he had it over his hand. The drive to Springfield and even while visiting with everyone and playing with all the toys there. He was not interested in a band-aid. So as he was about to go to sleep I slathered on meds and a band-aid. That was about 1 am, by the way! I didn't splint it basically because I think I may have fallen asleep before he did.

I have been splinting it again at night without the hydro-gel though. That can't be used on open wounds. I plan on calling the specialist again Monday. That office is SO busy though and the doctor is only there on Thursday of every week. I have no idea how long it will take to get an appointment. I will just keep splinting it and in a few days use the hydro gel again. Surgery may again be an option.

Poor Joe's finger!!


Stephanie said...

awh man! OUCH! That really sucks.
He sounds like a trooper though.
And looks like your doc needs to work more than once a week! Seesh! He sounds like our Orthodontist.

Debbie Yost said...

Poor Joe. When my brother was a kid he broke his finger. It never did heal properly. I hope they can do something for Joe.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

OMGosh! I can't believe it! Poor little guy! Gabi can't stand bandaids either. I hope he doesn't need surgery. Man, what are the odds of that happening AGAIN to the same finger?

Christina said...

OH man! That sounds painful! Hope it heals up good!

WheresMyAngels said...

That sounds awful :( Poor guy! Hope it heals up okay.