Monday, August 11, 2008

Tropic Thunder

The Movie Tropic Thunder is getting lots of publicity. Not because it's a great movie but because they use the word "retard" like it means nothing. So many people have blogged about this movie. I have linked (and copied Renee's post) below for you to read. Please don't give your money to see this movie.***********

Renee's post from Life with my special K's

Today's Monday Moment is a little different from the other weeks. Hopefully it will never be like this ever again. I want to talk a little about the movie Tropic Thunder. I did a half baked post about this last week but I felt that it deserved some more blog space, more attention, more than what I said... because MAYBE there are still some of you out there still planning on seeing this movie.

Ben Stiller is "funny"... I get that. His dumb humor makes people (like my husband) laugh. Jack Black... he's funny too. I guess. I even admit that I liked "School of Rock." Here's the thing... Dreamworks has attacked my daughter. Ben Stiller and Jack Black and even my VERY favorite actor in the world, Matthew McConaughey and every other actor in that movie has attacked my daughter.

Dramatic much? Maybe. But what if they used the N word? Surely that wouldn't fly. What if they were attacking gay people? You can bet that wouldn't be aired. Yet people all over the country are going to see this movie... and they're going to laugh... at my daughter and people like her. They're going to buy T-shirts that mock my child... and THOUSANDS of others who carry the diagnosis of mentally retarded.

Still think I'm over-reacting? Listen to this scene from the movie.


The actor character played by Ben Stiller, Tugg Speedman, has key scenes in the movie which recreate a character he has played called Simple Jack. Jack is a ‘retard’. This element of the movie gives rise to a slew of objectionable phrases slanted directly at the disabled. Take the following, a conversation between Downey Jr’s character and Stiller’s, revolving around Stiller’s decision to play said ‘retard’:

Stiller: There were times when I was doing Jack when I actually felt retarded. Like really retarded.

Downey: Oh yeah. Damn.

Stiller: In a weird way, I had to sort of just free myself up to believe that it was okay to be stupid or dumb.

Downey: To be a moron.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: To be moronical.

Stiller: Exactly.

Downey: An imbecile.

Stiller: Yeah. When I was playing a character.

Downey: When you was a character.

Stiller: Yeah, I mean, as Jack. Definitely.

Downey: It’s like working with mercury. It’s how science makes art form.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: You an artist.

Stiller: It’s what we do, right?

Downey: Everybody knows you never do a full retard.

Stiller: What do you mean?

Downey: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, Rainman, look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic. Sure. Not retarded.

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.


How about now? Can you look at Kennedy's sweet little face, after she's fought SO hard for EVERYTHING in her life, and still go see that movie? Am I throwing you a guilt trip? Yes. I am. Because until the day I die I will fight for MY child and I will do my part to defend her against people like Dreamworks who wants everyone in the country to torture her with lines from this movie... because THEY want people to laugh. One day, Kennedy will understand what all of this means. She WILL know when people are mocking her. She WILL hurt and her heart WILL break... just like yours and mine. But until she is old enough to figure it out and speak for herself, I will be here to be her voice. If this is not enough, here's a reminder of why it hurts.

Still think I'm over-reacting? OK. Fine. But add me to the list with: Kallie's mom, Jacob's dad, MaryEllen's mom, Nash's mom, Darah's mom, Sophie's mom, Dominic's mom, Aiden's mom, Cheyenne and Mercedes' mom, Zoey's mom, Emma, Brianna and Micah's mom, Larkin's mom, Vinnie's mom, Lacey's mom, Mikey's dad, Ciarra's mom, Megan's mom, and her dad, too, Ethan's mom, Caden's mom, Aiden's mom, Ashlie's mom, Payton and Addison's mom, Tarenne's mom, Avery's mom, Lucas' mom, Charlie's mom, Angela's mom, Emma's dad, Kaia's mom, Tristan's mom, Delphine's mom, Joey's mom, Brant's mom, Ruby's mom, Nathan's mom, Paul's mom, Curtis' mom, Dillon's mom, and Parker's mom. We can't ALL be over dramatic... can we?!

PLEASE don't go see this movie. Let Dreamworks know this is wrong. There will be a lot of other choices out there for mindless entertainment. Take a stand for Kennedy and all her friends and say NO to Tropic Thunder.


********I like Ben Stiller. I think his movies are funny. However, I won't be seeing this one and I'm not so sure I will like him as much since he did at least direct or co-direct this movie and write or co-write it as well. Several groups are boycotting this film, including the National Down Syndrome Congress. The National Down Syndrome Congress, Special Olympics, and the American Association of People With Disabilities are among those that said they would picket the movie.**********

2 comments:

Nick McGivney said...

Good link. Let's hurt them ticket by ticket that doesn't sell. MAybe wake them up.

Nick

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thanks for posting this!