Saturday, September 26, 2009


Yes, I know my blog feels abandoned. It's not, really.

A couple weeks ago Max started to get congested. No big deal really. He still acted fine. Last Saturday (a week ago) he was fine, he ate breakfast, played and just hung out. At lunch time Max spiked a fever and acted really lethargic. He wanted me to lay down with him. I did and once he was asleep I let him be. He acted like this for a few hours. I gave him meds (basically for his fever) and he seemed to somewhat snap back to normal. He still had a cough and was congested. Sunday he acted pretty normal as well. Just with a cough and maybe a little more tired than normal.

He went to school Monday. I wrote in his communication notebook that he had not felt that well so if he acted sick, to call me. I guess he did fine. Tuesday he went to school. At the end of the day his teacher said he was really acting out that day and he just acted like he didn't feel well plus he was still super congested. I decided Wednesday I would keep him home and have him go to the doctor. I walked Sam up to school (it's about a mile) and on my way back call the doctors office at around 8:15. They have a 8:45 opening. However, all 3 boys were at home still sleeping, while Pete got ready for work. I decide to take the 8:45. the only other time was 2:45. Which means I would have to pull Sam out of school early since school gets out at 3:40 and there was no way the doctors office would be that fast. Ike and Joe sleep in- and I mean sleep in! Sometimes they will sleep till around 11. Usually I am not lucky to have them both sleep that late on the same days. So I knew I would be dragging them out of bed (literally) and sticking them in the car so we could make this appointment. I still had to walk back home as well! We made it to the doctors office only 7 minutes late. I think their clock was slow though! which was nice considering it's usually fast.

I was truly expecting a script for a sinus infection. Max used to get those a lot. He has kinda slowed down a bit but I know what they look like. The doctor wants to test him for the flu since most of his grade level at school has been sick as well. Nobody in our family has been sick though. I guess Ike did have a fever for a day or 2 but really nothing major. They stick a long Q-tip like thing up his nostril and then the other side. It was pure torture- let me tell you! His nose was already running like a faucet now add tears and he was a mess!

The doctor comes back. Explains they test for type A and type B. If it is A then it is assumed to be H1N1-swine flu. Yes, max was positive for type A. But since he developed this over the weekend and it was now Wednesday it was too late for tamiflu. I asked about school and she told me was fine to go back the next day as long as he did not have a fever. He really acted fine just had a LOT of snot.

Wednesday morning I try and talk him into staying home. He really wanted to go to school. so I cave and let him go. 45 minutes later I get a call he needs to go home. He was being "difficult" (no way, my Max!?) and blowing snot everywhere (nice!). So I pick him up. I ended up keeping him home Friday as well. he still has snot central in his nose but it is improving some.

Not sure what all the swine flu hype is about. Max's case is not bad at all. Pretty minor thing in my opinion.

Now, if the snot would go away we would be good!


aj said...

hope that Max is feeling better by now and that the snot has lessened. glad to hear H1N1 has not served him too badly.

Karen said...

Poor little guy. I hope he's feeling better soon and that it doesn't spread. But that's what I've been saying all along - the swine flu is just another version of the flu. Not a biggie at all.