Friday, November 5, 2010

Fall time

So a few weeks ago the weather got cooler. My veggie plants did not get the memo. Which is fine with me!! here are some tomatoes from last week....
The tomato plants do not look pretty but they still have tomatoes on them. The pepper plants, last week, were still nice and green, bushy and loaded with peppers.





Even the ones I had planted in a planter on the deck were doing good.
I did cover them one night because it was going to be close to 31 degrees.

Last night I read the weather at about 11 or 12 and noticed the low was 29! So I quickly went out and covered my 2 pepper plant areas. It did get down to at least 29 last night. Some of my other plants show this today! The peppers are still kickin'. The tops of the big one don't look that great but I think the rest of the plant is fine. Tonight the same thing-- it's gonna be cold. But after that it should warm back up just a little.

I think this is the longest I have had veggie plants live. The pepper plants are still loaded! I hate thinking they will all die. I plan on picking them all within a few days.... And hope they are all OK after the cold weather. The tomatoes I think are done. I did pick all the red and orange ones this afternoon. There are still plenty of green ones but sadly, they will not make it.

This year as been a great tomato and pepper year. Hopefully next year will be the same.

4 comments:

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I am not a gardener and gave up on veggie gardens a long time ago, but those look great. I do wonder, though, how do you keep the rabbits from eating them? Nothing is really safe around here. Yesterday I noticed they were eating my mums to the quick! I hate those wrascally wrabbits!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I am not a gardener and gave up on veggie gardens a long time ago, but those look great. I do wonder, though, how do you keep the rabbits from eating them? Nothing is really safe around here. Yesterday I noticed they were eating my mums to the quick! I hate those wrascally wrabbits!

Laura said...

Yum...they did do great! What a green thumb you have, I never knew:-) Hope you can salvage some more before it gets to cold.

Sharon said...

They look great! Well done.